Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Antelope Island Adventures

Let me just start off by saying that, as much as I complain about Utah, I truly do live in an amazing place. It is incredibly beautiful and diverse. For example, in some of the shots below, at first glance you'll notice a sort of desert landscape, but if you take a closer look you can see huge, beautiful, snowcapped mountains in the background. I am often overwhelmed by the views that I come across in this beautiful state. Anyway...

A couple of weeks ago, Mike and I took the kids for a little trip up to Antelope Island. We set out to see some wildlife (antelope and buffalo). When we first pulled up to the beach, we saw one antelope right away. We didn't have much luck spotting any buffalo, but eventually found one... I was too scared to get very close. Then as we were driving over to the beach to spend the afternoon in the water, I saw a coyote wandering around and had to get a few shots of him. Wildlife... check.

For those of you who have never been to Antelope Island, or even the Great Salt Lake, the beach and the water are pretty interesting. It is extremely shallow in many spots, especially at AI. You can wander out for what seems like miles and the water is still only up to your knees. This is great for the kids. The not so great part is that it is pretty nasty (bugs, mosquitos, strange smells). My kids didn't seem to mind the bugs, and although I got eaten alive, I had a good time as well. Here are some of my favorite images from our afternoon at Antelope.



























































2 comments:

Alyssa said...

I love your photos! I am so happy you're shooting my sister's wedding!

jed said...

mmm... been waiting for years to see mike without a shirt.